Monday, December 1, 2008

Davis - a Hidden Gem

I have known V and D through a friend since a few years back, when they ran (and still run) a quaint, cozy eatery on Gough Street in Soho. Thai fushion food, my friend claimed. Honestly, anything with the word fusion in it I approached with skepticism; but with D's cuisine, I have since been won over, and am a declared fan.

Recently the duo opened a new bar called Davis in the up-and-coming Kennedy Town neighbourhood. At V's urging, I checked out the place one evening, only to discover that D was there too, which meant a full food menu was available at this little bar - I was not expecting that at all.

The small tables and stools precluded extensive ordering, but I was able to sample quite a few new dishes from D. To itemize, V and D served salmon marinated with Chinese "fa diu" and rose wines, sardine bruschetta, warm beef salad, mixed sausages with toast, and M&M's cheesecake.

Nevermind that the sardine bruschetta had absolutely no fishy taste, was complemented well by a tomato sauce that was fresh and absent from normally detestable excess acidity; or that the sausage platter comprised of hearty, flavourful, sweet and salty varieties from Spain; what really impressed me was D's heart in this cooking.

I liked the fact that he seasons strongly but his food is never overly salty or peppery. I liked that he cares about the quality of side salads and garnishes, which were good enough to pass off as a standalone dish but he doesn't charge you extra for it. I appreciated that he is a chef who can make the best out of his ingredients. And I accepted the fact that he can give you a black face sometimes when you have done absolutely nothing more than being a normal customer.

I really hope more people will be able to see through the facade of V and D's rustically decorated bar and discover the real gems of the place. It would be a shame if Davis remained hidden for long.

Davis @ Davis Street, Kennedy Town, Hong Kong

No comments: